Saturday, March 15, 2008

STARTING TO REALIZE

After I graduated from college in 2006, I immediately wanted to have a job just like anybody else. But unlike others who have their reasons for getting a job, either to pursue their childhood dreams or to support the financial needs of their families, I have none at all. At least not a valid one.

The reason I had back then for looking for a job was because I have to. I have to, not because I need to earn money or because I was forced by my parents but because I was already done with school. After school, I thought, what is supposed to follow is work.

That, I think, was the reason why I accepted a job I didn’t really like, in a company that I didn’t like either at first. I said to myself that since I’m already in one of the biggest corporation in the country, I’ll just try it anyway at least for a year. I was paid a minimum wage without any benefits for six months and I worked in a rotating shift. Everything seems to push me to quit. I didn’t.

I decided to stay and it is almost two years now since I began my job. Many things have changed since then and it is only now that I am starting to realize how much my work helps me in a lot of things. Not only that I was able to finally pay my school debt, I am now also able to pay all our monthly bills at home. And sometimes I even pay for the tuition of my siblings. It is only now that I am starting to realize that had I quit my job in the first few months, I would now be in so much regret.


No comments: